Welcome to 5B!
Important Class Information
During the SummerTerm, we have P.E timetabled on Thursdays and Fridays. Please ensure that your child has the appropriate kit on these days.
Homework is given on a Friday and must be in on the following Monday after the weekend.
Reading books go home every day and are changed on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
Fruit money costs 20p a day (£1 per week) and this gives your child a chance to have a healthy piece of fruit.
In our Topic lessons in the SummerTerm, we will be delving into the history of the Middle Ages, with particular focus on Monks and monasteries. The children will discover what exactly are monks, where they derived from, what they did and how they lived.
We will be hoping to visit Norton Priory as this is a good example of a old abbey, which the children will be able to learn a lot about.
(Spelling, Punctuation And Grammar)
The SPaG skills are incorporated into the English and Guided Reading lessons daily. During the Summer Term, it will continue to include sentence structure, types of words, relative clauses, adverbials, commas and other high level punctuation such as brackets, dashes and semi-colons.
To help your child with grammar and spellings, there are some useful links here:
Year 5 Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar booklet
Shape, space and measurement
- I can solve problems involving time
- I can convert between different units of measure
- I can measure and calculate the perimeter of composite rectilinear shapes
- I can calculate and compare the area of rectangles
- I can estimate volume and capacity
- I can use the 4 operations to solves problems involving measurement
- I can use the properties of rectangles to deduce related facts
- I can distinguish between regular and irregular polygons
- I can identify 3D shapes from 2D representations
- I know angles are measured in degrees
- I can estimate and compare acute, obtuse and reflex angles
- I can identify angles at a point of a whole and half turn
- I can draw given angles and measure them in degrees
- I can identify and comment on the position of a shape after reflection or translation
- I can complete, read and interpret information in tables and graphs
Some useful websites:
During the Summer Term, we will be reading the book 'the Wreck of the Zanzibar' written by Michael Morpurgo and 'Time Travelling with a Hamster' by Ross Welford. We will use the books to create newspaper articles, diaries, letters, non-fiction reports and persuasive texts. In addition to this, we will use the text to support us with our grammar skills.
|In Year 5, we will be studying about Forces and the Earth, Sun and Moon. The children will have the chance to create investigations to test their theories and ideas. They will learn about the relationship between the Earth, Sun and Moon and what has happened over time in History (eg. The Moon landing).|
- testing ideas
- creating experiments
- recording results
- explaining results
- increasing knowledge of key Scientific words